Following the footsteps of their great grandfather Angelo Sciaccaluga, Tanner siblings Richard, Ronald and Judy, planted their vineyard in the spring of 1998. Grandpa Angelo brought his wine making skills to the Mother Lode in the 1860’s. Settling in the small gold rush town of Vallecito, he was the first winemaker in Calaveras County to pay an official ‘alcohol tax’.
Fast forward to 2004 when the first Tanner Vineyards label was born. In naming their first vintage, the siblings honored their mother, Jacqueline Rose Tanner with Mélange de Mère; French for ‘mother’s blend’. This special blend is made from Cabernet Sauvignon, Syrah and Petit Verdot; the first three wine grapes planted in the vineyard. Over time the family has added more plantings with varietals that thrive in the rocky and volcanic soils of their family vineyards. To date they have produced 11 estate grown wines.