Halter Ranch Vineyard
Located on Adelaida Road, on the west side of Paso Robles, our property dates to the 1880s, when it was part of a 3,000-acre ranch owned by Paso Robles pioneer Edwin Smith. The beautiful Victorian farmhouse Smith built in 1885 remains a Westside Paso Robles landmark.
In 2000, Swiss-born businessman Hansjörg Wyss fell in love with the Paso Robles area and purchased 900 acres of the original ranch, intent on producing the best grapes and wines possible from our ideally situated site.
Fervently committed to quality, we have focused on developing our estate vineyard, renovating the historic barns and farmhouse, and designing a new state-of-the art winery.
Our vineyard is planted to many different grape varieties – both Bordeaux and Rhone-style, plus Zinfandel, Tannat and Tempranillo. The vines are planted on steep, south-facing slopes reaching 1800 feet in elevation and boasting soils rich in limestone, a feature of many of the world’s finest vineyards. High-density plantings, multiple clones and rootstocks, and low yields enable us to produce fruit of superb quality. We are committed to the environment. In 2008 Halter Ranch earned the SIP Certification, (Sustainability in Practice) in all our farming and winemaking operations.